Beauty and the Beast is a 1991 film about a young and beautiful French woman who falls in love with a hideous beast. Loosely based on the fairy tale of the same name, for example, Belle refused the invitation for dinner.
- Directed by Gary Trousdale and Kirk Wise. Written by Roger Allers, Kelly Asbury, Brenda Chapman, Jeanne-Marie Leprince de Beaumont, Tom Ellery, Kevin Harkey, Robert Lence, Burny Mattinson, Brian Pimental, Joe Ranft, Chris Sanders, Bruce Woodside and Linda Woolverton.
- Once upon a time, in a faraway land, a young prince lived in a shining castle. Although he had everything his heart desired, the prince was spoiled, selfish, and unkind. But then, one winter's night, an old beggar woman came to the castle and offered him a single rose in return for shelter from the bitter cold. Repulsed by her haggard appearance, the prince sneered at the gift and turned the old woman away. But she warned him not to be deceived by appearances, for beauty is found within. And when he dismissed her again, the old woman's ugliness melted away to reveal a beautiful enchantress. The prince tried to apologize, but it was too late, for she had seen that there was no love in his heart. And as punishment, she transformed him into a hideous beast and placed a powerful spell on the castle and all who lived there. Ashamed of his monstrous form, the Beast concealed himself inside his castle with a magic mirror as his only window to the outside world. The rose she had offered was truly an enchanted rose, which would bloom until his 21st year. If he would learn to love another and earn her love in return by the time the last petal fell, then the spell would be broken. If not, he would be doomed to remain a beast for all time. As the years passed, he fell into despair and lost all hope. For who could ever learn to love a beast?
- Oh, it's no use. She's so beautiful, and I'm... Well, look at me!
- You will join me for dinner. THAT'S NOT A REQUEST! [slams door]
- Fine! Then go ahead and STARVE!! If she doesn't eat with me, then she doesn't eat at all!
- He's no monster, Gaston. YOU ARE!
- [suggesting things to woo Belle] Well, there's the usual things. Flowers, chocolates, promises you don't intend to keep.
- I'll have Belle for my wife, make no mistake about that!
- It's over Beast! Belle is mine!
- It's not right for a woman to read. Soon she starts getting ideas..... thinking.
- Wow, you didn't miss a shot Gaston! You're the greatest hunter in whole world!
- And I mean it!
- That crazy old loon! He needs all the help he can get!
- [singing] Tale as old as time, true as it can be. Barely even friends, then somebody bends unexpectedly.
- Gaston: [flicking through the pages of Belle's book] How can you read this? There's no pictures!
- Belle: [laughs] Well, some people use their imagination.
- Gaston: [tossing the book aside] Belle, it's about time you got your head out of those books and paid attention to more important things. Like me. The whole town's talking about it. It's not right for a woman to read. Soon she starts getting "ideas"..... "thinking"-
- Belle: Gaston, you are positively primeval.
- Gaston: Why, thank you, Belle!
- [Belle raises her eyebrows in surprise.]
- Gaston: You, LeFou. Now when Belle and I come out that door...
- LeFou: Oh, I know. I know. I strike up the band.
- [LeFou uses his baton to have his band play music until...]
- Gaston: [slams a tuba onto LeFou's head] Not yet!
- LeFou: [with his lips sticking out from the tuba's mouth piece] Sorry.
- Beast: [he catches the rose with the West Wing] Why did you come here?
- Belle: I'm sorry!
- Beast: I warned you never to come here!
- Belle: I didn't mean any harm.
- Beast: Do you realize what you could have done?! [he thrash at the furniture]
- Belle: [pleaded, but still scared] Please... Stop!
- Beast: Get out!
- Belle: NO!!
- Beast: [then begins to thrash some more furniture] GEEEET OUUUUUUUUUUUUT!!!
- Belle: You have my word.
- Beast: Done! (unlocks the cell and Belle collapses to the floor and Maurice rushes over to Belle.)
- Maurice: No, Belle. Listen to me. I'm old, I've lived my life... (Beast takes him and drags him downstairs and outside)
- Belle: Wait!
- Maurice: Belle!
- Belle: Wait! (Beast opens the castle's door and drags Maurice to the pallenquin.)
- Maurice: No, please spare my daughter!
- Beast: She's no longer your concern. (throws Maurice inside the pallenquin and shuts its door) Take him to the village.
- Maurice: (The pallenquin breaks ivy holding it to the ground and slinks off like a spider with Maurice inside) Let me out! Please let me out! Let me out! Please! Please!
- (Belle looks out the cell's window at the pallenquin crossing the bridge over the moat, starting to cry. Beast walks up the stairs and Lumiere is at his post.)
- Lumiere: Master?
- Beast: What?!
- Lumiere: Since this girl is going to be with us for quite some time, I was thinking that you might want to offer her a comfortable room. [Beast roars at his face with his bad breath causing his flames to go out and leaves] Then again, maybe not!
- Belle: [cries] You didn't even let me say good bye! I'll never see him again, I didn't get to say good-bye!
- Beast: I'll show you to your room.
- Belle: My room? But I thought--
- Beast: Y-You wanna stay in the tower?
- Belle: No.
- Beast: Then follow me...
- [Belle nurses the Beast's wounds]
- Belle: Here now. Don't do that. Just...hold...still.
- Beast: [roars] THAT HURTS!
- Belle: If you'd hold still, it wouldn't hurt as much!
- Beast: If you hadn't run away, this wouldn't have happened.
- Belle: If you hadn't frightened me, I wouldn't have run away!
- Beast: [pauses] Well YOU shouldn't have been in the west wing!
- Belle: Well you should learn to control your temper! [both glare at each other] Now hold still, this might sting a little. [quietly] By the way, thank you, for saving my life.
- Beast: You're welcome.
- Beast: I let her go.
- Cogsworth: [chuckles] Yes. Splen- [realizes what the Beast just said] You what? How could you do that?!
- Beast: I had to.
- Cogsworth: Yes, but.... why?
- Beast: Because.... I love her.
- [The Beast lays dying with Belle at his side. Meanwhile, the rose is down to its last petal.]
- Beast: You- You came back.
- Belle: Of course I came back. I couldn't let them.... [hugs the Beast] Oh, this is all my fault. If only I'd gotten here sooner-
- Beast: Maybe it's better.... it's better this way.
- Belle: Don't talk like that. You'll be all right. We're together now. Everything's going to be fine. You'll see.
- [Knowing better, the Beast reaches up and touches Belle's cheek.]
- Beast: At least I got to see you.... one last time.
- [His hand falls and his eyes close.]
- Belle: No. No! Please. Please! Please don't leave me! [Sobs] I love you.
- [The last petal falls away, leaving Cogsworth, Lumiere, and Mrs. Potts distraught as Belle continues crying and the Beast is magically lifted up as Belle stops crying and sees the transformation and Cogsworth, Lumiere, and Mrs. Potts also see the transformation as the Beast's paws turn into human hands and his furry legs turn into human legs and his head and face turn into a human head and face as the transformation ends and Belle finds out who it is and the Beast discovers that he is human again and reveals his true form as a handsome prince.]
- Prince: Belle... it's me!
- [Belle stares into his eyes for a minute and discovers that it is him.]
- Belle: It is you!
- [Belle and the Prince begin to kiss as the fireworks transform everything back to normal along with Lumiere, Cogsworth, and Mrs. Potts returning to their human forms.]
- Prince: Lumiere! Cogsworth! Oh, Mrs. Potts! Look at us!
- Chip: Mama! Mama!
- [Chip and Sultan appear and are also transformed back to normal as Mrs. Potts picks him up.]
- Mrs. Potts: Oh my goodness!
- Lumiere: It is a miracle!
- [The prince picks up Belle and swings her around as the scene moves into the celebration at the ballroom as he and Belle begin to dance.]
- [Last lines]
- Chip: Are they gonna live happily ever after, Mama?
- Mrs. Potts: Of course, my dear. [Gives a contented sigh] Of course.
- Chip: [pause] Do I still have to sleep in the cupboard?
- [Maurice, Mrs. Potts and Chip laugh as the camera looking at the entire ballroom with Belle and the Prince dancing around the ballroom and fades into the final stained glass window with Belle and the Prince in the center and his servants, ending the film.]
Read in another language
This page is available in 4 languages