Anachronox is a 2001 Sci-Fi game about a down-on-his-luck private detective who, through a series of events, eventually finds himself on a path to save the universe! It turns out that doing so, however, will prove just as difficult as coming to terms with his past.
Anachronox mixes Sci-Fi and RPG elements in the reign of JRPG's while combining witty dialog and a colorful and humorous cast of characters with an epic science fiction storyline.
Warning! Some of the Quotes on this page might contain spoilers!
Sylvester 'Sly Boots' Bucceli
- You're gonna hit me, aren't you?
- Oh, cry me a river, sister. You blew up the planet with that little experiment of yours!
- Gnash them snappers, kid; I got a sock that eats like a meal. This putrid, unwashed, puss-soaked, blood-crusted sock was fermenting around a gangrenous stump of a foot for eight and half months. This is the chewiest, smelliest sock you'll ever have the luck to nosh on. And you're just a short Q&A away from suckin' this baby dry!
- Well what the hell are we supposed to do about it? Six losers against an army of chaos...?! Why doesn't Order send some reinforcement, or something?
- Stop hitting me with that thing, or I'm gonna belt you back. OW! I mean it!
- About time - Been freezing my butt off! (at Stiletto) Now gimme a hug, I need some body heat...
- (at Paco) What happened to your hair?
- I'm a professional!
- Let me guess, you inexplicably keep the solution somewhere really dangerous.
- I'm your man - I'm experienced and expensive... Available!
- (at PAL-18) Then let's burn rubber, kid. Two on the town, just like the old days!
- You know the difference between you and the you five minutes ago? The you five minutes ago had five minutes to live.
- ... Sly Boots, the MASTER OF TIME AND SPACE!
- Wanna see my batteries?
- I am Paco!
- Ah piss.
- Oh, piffle!
- Damnation! I've pored through half these books and I'm no closer to discovering the missing link. It's all superstition with no basis in reality. I came here looking for science and found religion instead... And these infernal bugs are everywhere! One nearly crawled up my goose pipe!
- Dr. Bowman: "We all decided we wanna be there when you get yourself killed!"
- Sly: "Don't worry, I'll make things good." (at PAL-18) "Ready to hit the road, partner?"
- PAL-18: "You betcha Mr. Boots!"
- Sly: "Then let's do it; let's get some breakfast!"
- Sly: "Spare me the jokes about my smell; I just want what's coming to me - Access to the library... and a stick of deodorant!"
- Monk: "We keep our word here, detective. Baby fresh or musk?"
- Grumpos: "Look, you left a sock over there... over there... Is it so hard to pick up after yourself?"
- Sly: "What? I was gonna pick it up tomorrow!"
- Grumpos: "Tomorrow? Tomorrow?! YOU SON OF A...!" (brawl ensues)
- Sly: "Why didn't you ever let me in on this?"
- Rowdy: "I did. But you were drunk and threw up before I could finish telling you."
- Sly: "Ha! That's twenty questions; you guys lose!"
- Dr. Bowman: "So what was it?"
- Sly: "Anachronox! Man, you guys are dumb."
- Dr. Bowman: "But... You said it started with a 'U'."
- Sly: "Yeah I know."
- Monk: "Can I help you?"
- Sly: "Oh! Hey there. Can my friend use your library for a few hours?"
- Monk: "No. You're under arrest for trespassing."
- Sly: "You can't detain me, I'm a private investigator on an important case. Can't I wash dishes, or something?"
- Monk: "A detective? Really? Then the gods smile on us both today, provided you are willing to cooperate in... an extremely delicate matter for us."
- Sly: "Yeah I was kidding about the dishes!"
- Council Member 1: "Oh, you're all jumping to conclusions. There is no evidence the missiles are even destructive in nature."
- Council Member 2: "Evidence? The Virulent Hive has been doing this for hundreds of years - Bomb plant, wait for dust to settle, then re-colonise to expand hive... What exactly do you think is inside those warheads? Gift baskets?"
- Sly: "Do I get a cool robe?" (after completing a quest)
- Monk: "How about a cool T-Shirt?"
- Stiletto: "Interesting little collection of characters you've shacked up with. Which scam you running?"
- Sly: "It's my biggest case ever! I'm, uh, trying to 'save the universe'."
- Stiletto: "Do tell!"
- Sly: "Detta's got the keystone. And I gave it to him..."
- Rowdy: "So take it back."
- Sly: "How? Detta controls the city. I need an army."
- Rowdy: "The seven of you equipped with Mystech are all the army you need."
- Sly: "But it's Detta. I never asked for this. How am I supposed to 'save the universe'? I'm me..."
- Sly: "You look great."
- Stiletto: "You don't. Our golden boy looks a little tarnished."
- Sly: "Should have seen me on Monday..." (pause) "You gonna stay in that get-up all day?"
- Stiletto: "Thinking about it. It's me, don't you think?"
- Sly: "Not remotely."
- Stiletto: "So what happened to Fatima?"
- Sly: "I thought you were dead..."
- Stiletto: "Don't change the subject."
- Sly: "She died. The night you disappeared."
- Stiletto: "Why didn't you come after me that night?"
- Sly: "I did, Sera."
- Stiletto: "I could never count on you Bucceli."
- Sly: "Don't call me that, Sera..."
- Stiletto: "Then don't call me Sera... I'm Stiletto now."
- Sly: "What the hell happened to you...?"
- Stiletto: "I found myself."
- Fatima: "You're crazy. I can't believe you're going after those... things! I'm serious, Boots, I can't let you do this!"
- Sly: "Weren't you the one telling me to get off my butt just a few weeks ago?"
- Fatima: "There is a difference between getting a job and throwing away your life."
- Sly: "I've never felt this strongly about anything. I have to do this!
- Fatima: "What makes you think you can save the universe when you couldn't even save me."
- Sly: (Pause) "I'm sorry..."
- Dr. Bowman: "Oh hell!'
- Grumpos: "Oh no!!"
- Sly: "Oh what?"