Allen Bernard West (born 7 February 1961) is a Republican U.S. Representative from Florida's 22nd Congressional District, serving since January 2011. West served in the Army in Iraq and was a civilian adviser in Afghanistan. He achieved the rank of Lieutenant Colonel in the United States Army but retired after an investigation of his conduct during the interrogation of a detainee in Taji, Iraq.
- If it's about the lives of my men and their safety, I'd go through hell with a gasoline can.
- At his 2004 hearing, regarding his conduct of an interrogation. Department of the Army, 43rd Military Police Detachment (CID)(FWD), 10th Military Police Battalion, United States Army Criminal Investigation Command (February 6, 2004). Memorandum, Subject: CID Report Of Investigation – Final – 0152-03-CID469-60212-5C1A/5C2/5T1. Retrieved on September 28, 2010.
- The first thing you’ve got to do is study and understand what we’re up against. You must realize that this is not a religion that you’re fighting against. You’re fighting against a theo-political belief system and construct. You’re fighting against something that’s been doing this thing since 622 AD - 7th century - 1388 years. You want to dig up Charles Martel and ask him why he was fighting the Muslim army at the Battle of Tours in 732? You want to ask the Venetian fleet at LePonto why they were fighting a Muslim fleet in 1571? You want to ask the Christian – I mean the Germanic and Austrian – knights why they were fighting at the gates of Vienna in 1683? You want to ask people what happened at Constantinople and why today it’s called Istanbul? Because they lost that fight in 1543. You need to get into the Qur'an, you need to understand their precepts, you need to read the Sunnah, you need to read the Hadith and then you can really understand this is not a perversion: They are doing exactly what this book says. I want to close by saying this, and I think we’ve said this all through this morning so far: Until we get principled leadership in the United States that is willing to say that, we will continue to chase our tail, because we will never clearly define who this enemy is and then understand their goals and objectives - which is on any jihadist website - and then come up with the right and proper goals and objectives to not only secure our republic, but to secure western civilization.
- I will take my hands off Medicare when there is no Medicare, then I will come and see you sir.
- "Republican Rep. Allen West: “I will take my hands off Medicare when there is no Medicare”", Blogging Blue, 20 May 2011, retrieved on 2011-06-07
- to audience member chanting "hands off Medicare!"