- ...ad doctrinam huiusmodi copiosius a perpluribus dicta auctoribus, et praecipue ab his quos mater educavit Graecia, Latinorum cogente penuria, . . . transferenda conferam
- Translation: ...for the teaching of this kind I will devote myself to translating what is said more fully by many authors, and especially those whom mother Greece educated, whilst the Latins were oppressed by lack, . . . of knowledge.
- From the preface to his translation of the Premnon phisicon of Nemesius.
- Tum medicinali tantum florebat in arte, posset ut hic nullus languor hobere locum
- Translation: Medicine was so advanced in Salerno that there was no place for illness.