Alex Carey (1922–1988) was an Australian author and psychologist.
- The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
- Taking the Risk out of Democracy (1997) ch. 2 p. 18 University of Illinois Press
- Also quoted by Noam Chomsky in World Orders Old and New
- ...It remains, as ever, an axiom of conventional wisdom that the use of propaganda as a means of social and ideological control is distinctive of totalitarian regimes. Yet the most minimal exercise of common sense would suggest a different view: that propaganda is likely to play at least as important a part in democratic societies (where the existing distribution of power and privilege is vulnerable to quite limited changes in popular opinion) as in authoritarian societies (where it is not). It is arguable that the success of business propaganda in persuading us, for so long, that we are free from propaganda is one of the most significant propaganda achievements of the twentieth century.
- Taking the Risk out of Democracy (1997) ch. 2 p. 21 University of Illinois Press
Last modified on 17 May 2013, at 13:53