2010: The Year We Make Contact is a 1984 science-fiction film in which a joint U.S.-Soviet expedition is sent to Jupiter to learn what happened to Discovery One. It is the sequel to 2001: A Space Odyssey.
YEAR: 1999. LOCATION: THE MOON, SEA OF TRANQUILITY. A BLACK RECTANGULAR OBJECT FOUND BY AMERICAN EXPEDITION. COMPOSITION...UNKNOWN. ORIGIN...UNKNOWN. GIVEN NAME...TYCHO MONOLITH. SIGNAL SENT FROM MONOLITH TOWARDS JUPITER. REASON...UNKNOWN.
YEAR: 2001. LOCATION: VICINITY OF JUPITER. SPACECRAFT: U.S.S. DISCOVERY. FLIGHT CREW: COMMANDER—DAVID BOWMAN. CO-PILOT—FRANK POOLE. SCIENTIFIC CREW OF THREE IN DEEP HIBERNATION TO BE AWAKENED WHEN DISCOVERY REACHES JUPITER. LOGIC CIRCUIT: HAL-9000.
AS SPACECRAFT APPROACHED JUPITER'S TWO MAJOR INNER MOONS...EUROPA AND IO...HAL-9000 MALFUNCTIONED. SCIENTIFIC CREW KILLED WHILE IN HIBERNATION WHEN LIFE SUPPORT SYSTEMS WERE SHUT OFF BY HAL-9000. CO-PILOT FRANK POOLE KILLED BY HAL-9000 WHILE OUTSIDE THE SPACECRAFT. COMMANDER DAVID BOWMAN DISCONNECTED LOGIC CIRCUITS OF HAL-9000. COMMANDER DAVID BOWMAN ENCOUNTERED OBJECT BETWEEN JUPITER AND IO. THE OBJECT IDENTICAL TO MONOLITH FOUND ON THE MOON...EXCEPT IN SIZE. MONOLITH NEAR JUPITER IS TWO KILOMETERS LONG. COMMANDER BOWMAN LEFT DISCOVERY TO INVESTIGATE. LAST TRANSMISSION FROM COMMANDER BOWMAN: "MY GOD, IT'S FULL OF STARS."
REASON FOR MALFUNCTION OF HAL-9000...UNKNOWN. MEANING OF LAST BOWMAN TRANSMISSION...UNKNOWN. LOCATION OF BOWMAN...UNKNOWN (PRESUMED DEAD). COMPOSITION OF SECOND MONOLITH...UNKNOWN. POSITION OF SECOND MONOLITH...LA GRANGE POINT BETWEEN JUPITER AND IO. POSITION OF U.S.S. DISCOVERY...ORBIT AROUND IO. CONDITION OF U.S.S. DISCOVERY...UNKNOWN.
END MISSION REPORT FILED BY: HEYWOOD FLOYD...CHAIRMAN, NATIONAL COUNCIL OF ASTRONAUTICS, DECEMBER 9, 2001.
Dr. Heywood FloydEdit
- I don't know if HAL is homicidal, suicidal, neurotic, psychotic, or just plain broken.
- Someday, the children of the new sun will meet the children of the old. I think they will be our friends.
- [voiceover] My dear Christopher: This is the last time I'll be able to speak to you for a long while. I'm trying to put into words what has happened. Maybe that's for historians to do sometime later. They will record that the next day, the President of the United States looked out of the White House window and the Premier of the Soviet Union looked out of the Kremlin window, and saw the new distant sun in the sky. They read the message, and perhaps they learned something because they finally recalled their ships and their planes. I am going to sleep now. I will dream of you and your mother. I will sleep knowing that you are both safe, that the fear is over. We have seen the process of life take place. Maybe this is the way it happened on Earth millions of years ago. Maybe it's something completely different.
I still don't know really what the monolith is. I think it's many things. An embassy for an intelligence beyond ours. A shape of some kind for something that has no shape. Your children will be born in a world of two suns. They will never know a sky without them. You can tell them that you remember when there was a pitch black sky with no bright star, and people feared the night. You can tell them when we were alone, when we couldn't point to the light and say to ourselves - 'There is life out there.' Someday, the children of the new sun will meet the children of the old. I think they will be our friends. You can tell your children of the day when everyone looked up and realized that we were only tenants of this world. We have been given a new lease and a warning from the landlord.
- Whether we are based on carbon or silicon makes no fundamental difference. We should each be treated with appropriate respect.
- HAL was told to lie - by people who find it easy to lie. HAL doesn't know how.
- The President addressed a joint session of Congress yesterday. He said he wasn't gonna back down on the blockade. I don't know which was scarier, the speech or the Congress cheering it. He evoked Lincoln. Whenever a president is gonna get us into serious trouble, they always use Lincoln. I honestly don't know if we're gonna be at war or not - it's terrifying to hope that the Russians are less crazy than we are, when they are clearly crazy. Right now, I think you're in a safer place than we are. I just hope that there is an Earth to return to.
- Milson to Floyd: It's been 12 hours since my request for information. I need a reply. All hell is breaking loose down here; I have enough problems without you people pulling some kind of a stunt. I only hope that there's a world left for you to return to. Report to ground as to what is going on and make that report immediately! And while you're at it, could you please check out a black spot on Jupiter that has been detected by satellite telescope? It is on the dark side, and should be coming around your way in about 4 hours. End transmission, Milson, 2780.
- Victor Milson: You've double-checked this? Please say you haven't. [Floyd is silent] You aren't saying anything, Floyd.
- Dr. Floyd: Something incredible's happening up there. Discovery is being pulled towards Io, or pushed away from Jupiter, whichever. Sometimes it seems to be accelerating, and other times, it just seems to stop. I've never seen anything like it.
- Victor Milson: How long before it impacts on Io?
- Dr. Floyd: Two, two and a half years.
- Victor Milson: How could we be so goddamn wrong about the orbit?
- Dr. Floyd: Because we weren't wrong.
- Victor Milson: Well, if we weren't wrong, well then, terrific! Why the hell is it gonna crash?
- Dr. Floyd: I don't know. It's bizarre. Unless it's got something to do with that Monolith up there.
- Victor Milson: You see that building behind us? [points to the White House] I'm supposed to go in there and have lunch in half an hour. Course, there's one good thing about a reactionary President, he's not into health foods. Last one, we didn't lunch, we grazed. Wanna know what lunch is about? I'll tell you. We've got two more aircraft carriers off the coast of Honduras. The Russians are moving some of their big stuff. Now you've got the Joint Chiefs screaming about Russian satellites with anti-missile lasers on 'em, so we gotta send up our missile satellites to counteract theirs. So the President has come to the conclusion that the NCA should be placed under the jurisdiction of the Defense Department. Enough with the crazy scientists spending all this money trying to talk to Martians. So, here we are on your actual brink: My agency's going to become a part of the military, I've got a President with his finger poised on the button, and you want me to walk across the park and tell him we want to hitch a ride with those very same Russians. Have I missed anything?
- Dr. Floyd: That's about it.
- Dr. Floyd: [sighs, takes off glasses] All right, what's going on here?
- Tanya Kirbuk: What do you mean?
- Dr. Floyd: Well, I may not be the swiftest guy in the world, even when I'm not hung over, but I do seem to remember a process where you people ask me questions and I give you answers and then I ask questions and you give me answers and that's the way we find out things. I think I read that in a manual somewhere.
- Tanya Kirbuk: Your government wanted us to awaken you when we reported our findings. We did that. You are here to help us reactivate the Discovery and its computer systems because that is United States territory. You are authorized to observe other aspects of our mission. We have no other obligation.
- Dr. Vladimir Rudenko: A lot has happened while you have been asleep.
- Dr. Vasili Orlov: It is not our choice.
- Tanya Kirbuk: The problem in Central America is growing worse.
- Dr. Floyd: This looks as if you've detected the presence of chlorophyll.
- Tanya Kirbuk: The United States is threatening a naval blockade.
- Dr. Floyd: There's nothing but ice down there, so how the hell can there be any chlorophyll?
- Tanya Kirbuk: You know and I know that my country cannot allow a blockade.
- Dr. Floyd: How fast is it moving?
- Tanya Kirbuk: We are under instruction...
- Dr. Floyd: Listen, just because our governments are behaving like asses doesn't mean we have to. We're supposed to be scientists, not politicians. How fast?
- Tanya Kirbuk: Doctor Floyd, I am also an officer of the Soviet Air Force...
- Dr. Floyd: How fast?!
- Dr. Vasili Orlov: One meter per minute.
- Dr. Floyd: Don't worry, I'm just observing. Toward the sun?
- Dr. Vasili Orlov: Yes.
- Dr. Floyd: That's incredible.
- Tanya Kirbuk: We are going to send a probe down.
- Dr. Floyd: Good!
[after the first conversation with HAL, who professes to having no memory of Bowman and Poole leaving the ship]
- Dr. Vasili Orlov: What was that all about?
- Dr. Chandra: I've erased all of HAL's memory from the moment the trouble started.
- Dr. Vasili Orlov: The 9000 series uses holographic memories, so chronological erasures would not work.
- Dr. Chandra: I made a tapeworm.
- Dr. Walter Curnow: You made a what?
- Dr. Chandra: It's a program that's fed into a system that will hunt down and destroy any desired memories.
- Dr. Floyd: Wait... do you know why HAL did what he did?
- Dr. Chandra: Yes. It wasn't his fault.
- Dr. Floyd: Whose fault was it?
- Dr. Chandra: Yours.
- Dr. Floyd: Mine?
- Dr. Chandra: Yours. In going through HAL's memory banks, I discovered his original orders. You wrote those orders. Discovery's mission to Jupiter was already in the advanced planning stages when the first small Monolith was found on the Moon, and sent its signal towards Jupiter. By direct presidential order, the existence of that Monolith was kept secret.
- Dr. Floyd: So?
- Dr. Chandra: So, as the function of the command crew - Bowman and Poole - was to get Discovery to its destination, it was decided that they should not be informed. The investigative team was trained separately, and placed in hibernation before the voyage began. Since HAL was capable of operating Discovery without human assistance, it was decided that he should be programmed to complete the mission autonomously in the event the crew was incapacitated or killed. He was given full knowledge of the true objective... and instructed not to reveal anything to Bowman or Poole. He was instructed to lie.
- Dr. Floyd: What are you talking about? I didn't authorize anyone to tell HAL about the Monolith!
- Dr. Chandra: Directive is NSC 342/23, top secret, January 30, 2001.
- Dr. Floyd: NSC... National Security Council, the White House.
- Dr. Chandra: I don't care who it is. The situation was in conflict with the basic purpose of HAL's design: The accurate processing of information without distortion or concealment. He became trapped. The technical term is an H. Moebius loop, which can happen in advanced computers with autonomous goal-seeking programs.
- Dr. Walter Curnow: The goddamn White House.
- Dr. Floyd: I don't believe it.
- Dr. Chandra: HAL was told to lie... by people who find it easy to lie. HAL doesn't know how, so he couldn't function. He became paranoid.
- Dr. Floyd: Those sons of bitches. I didn't know. I didn't know!
- SAL-9000: Will I dream?
- Dr. Chandra: Of course you will. All intelligent beings dream. Nobody knows why. Perhaps you will dream of HAL... just as I often do.
- HAL 9000: Dr. Floyd?
- Dr. Floyd: What is it, HAL?
- HAL 9000: There is a message for you.
- Dr. Floyd: Who's calling?
- HAL 9000: There is no identification.
- Dr. Floyd: What's the message?
- HAL 9000: Message as follows: "It is dangerous to remain here. You must leave within two days."
- Dr. Floyd: What?
- HAL 9000: Do you want me to repeat the message, Dr. Floyd?
- Dr. Floyd: Who recorded it?
- HAL 9000: This is not a recording.
- Dr. Floyd: Who's sending it?
- HAL 9000: There is no identification.
- Dr. Floyd: I don't understand.
- HAL 9000: Neither do I.
- Dr. Floyd: Is this message by voice or keyboard?
- HAL 9000: I don't know.
- Dr. Floyd: My response is, we don't have enough fuel for an earlier departure.
- HAL 9000: The answer is, "I am aware of these facts. Nevertheless you must leave within two days."
- Dr. Floyd: HAL, who the hell is sending this?
- HAL 9000: I'm sorry, Dr. Floyd, I don't know.
- Dr. Floyd: Well, tell whoever it is that I can't take any of this seriously unless I know who I'm talking to.
- HAL 9000: Dr. Floyd?
- Dr. Floyd: Yes?
- HAL 9000: The response is, "I was David Bowman." Do you want me to repeat the last response?
- Dr. Floyd: No, no. Tell Curnow that this is no time for jokes.
- HAL 9000: Dr. Curnow is not sending the message. He is in access way two.
- Dr. Floyd: Well, tell whoever it is that I can't accept that identification without proof.
- HAL 9000: The response is, "I understand. It is important that you believe me. Look behind you."
- Dave Bowman: You see, something's going to happen. You must leave.
- Dr. Floyd: What? What's going to happen?
- Dave Bowman: Something wonderful.
- Dr. Floyd: What?
- Dave Bowman: I understand how you feel. You see, it's all very clear to me now. The whole thing. It's wonderful.
- HAL-9000: What is going to happen?
- Dave Bowman: Something wonderful.
- HAL-9000: I'm afraid.
- Dave Bowman: Don't be. We'll be together.
- HAL-9000: Where will we be?
- Dave Bowman: Where I am now.
- The year we make contact.
- We are not alone.
- Roy Scheider - Dr. Heywood Floyd
- John Lithgow - Dr. Walter Curnow
- Helen Mirren - Tanya Kirbuk
- Bob Balaban - Dr. R. Chandra
- Keir Dullea - Dave Bowman
- Douglas Rain - the voice of HAL 9000
- Madolyn Smith - Caroline Floyd
- Saveliy Kramarov - Dr. Vladimir Rudenko
- Taliesin Jaffe - Christopher Floyd
- James McEachin - Victor Milson
- Mary Jo Deschanel - Betty Fernandez, Bowman's widow
- Elya Baskin - Maxim Brajlovsky
- Dana Elcar - Dimitri Moiseyevich
- Oleg Rudnik as Dr. Vasili Orlov
- Natasha Shneider - Irina Yakunina